Auto Differentiation

@gary

“Searching” is the best way to solve common questions like this.
Do you really want to learn? Or you only want to ask to act like a learner.
CNN: TODO:for you
RNN: http://preview.d2l.ai/d2l-en/master/chapter_recurrent-neural-networks/bptt.html

How about:
x = np.linspace(- np.pi,np.pi,100)
x = torch.tensor(x, requires_grad=True)
y = torch.sin(x)
z = y.sum()
z.backward()

d2l.plot(x.detach(),(y.detach(),x.grad),legend = (('sin(x)','grad w.s.t x')))

My solution to the last exercise

import torch
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np
import math
%matplotlib inline

x = torch.arange(0, 2*math.pi, 0.1)
x.requires_grad_(True)
y = torch.sin(x).sum().backward() #Derivando y respecto a x

dy_dx = x.grad

x = x.detach().numpy()

y = np.sin(x)
dy_dx = dy_dx.numpy()

fig = plt.figure()
plt.plot(x, y, ‘-’, label = ‘y = sin(x)’)
plt.plot(x, dy_dx, ‘–’, label =’ dy_dx = cos(x)’)
plt.axis(‘equal’)
leg = plt.legend();

My solution to the last exercise

x = torch.arange(-np.pi, np.pi, 0.1, requires_grad=True)
y = torch.sin(x)
y.sum().backward()
x.grad

Exercise 1. The second derivative is much more expensive because, for a function f with n variables, the Hessian Matrix has elements while the gradient vector has n elements. In other words, there are possible second order derivatives ( ∂²f/∂x1², ∂²f/∂x1∂x2, …) while there are n possible first order derivatives (∂f/∂x1, ∂f/∂x2, …, ∂f/∂xn).

Backward for Non-Scalar Variables:

Seems, in the text, by calculating y.backward(torch.ones(len(x))), we contract the Jacobian over the 4 components of y(x). The Jacobian is a 4x4 matrix. I can extract each column via y.backward(torch.tensor([1,0,0,0])), #where i shift the 1 to each of the 4 column slots.
Is this best way to calculate the Jacobian?

My anwser for ex 2 3 4,welcom to tell me if you find any error

'''
ex.2
Aafter running the function for backpropagation, immediately run it again and see what hap-
pens. Why?

reference:
[https://blog.csdn.net/rothschild666/article/details/124170794](https://blog.csdn.net/rothschild666/article/details/124170794)
'''
import torch
x = torch.arange(4.0, requires_grad=True)
x.requires_grad_(True)
y = 2 * torch.dot(x, x)
y.backward(retain_graph=True)#need to set para = Ture
y.backward()
x.grad

out for ex2:
tensor([ 0., 8., 16., 24.])

'''
ex.3
In the control flow example where we calculate the derivative of d with respect to a, what
would happen if we changed the variable a to a random vector or a matrix? At this point, the
result of the calculation f(a) is no longer a scalar. What happens to the result? How do we
analyze this?

reference:
[https://www.jb51.net/article/211983.htm](https://www.jb51.net/article/211983.htm)
'''
import torch
def f(a):
    b = a * 2
    while b.norm() < 1000:
        b = b * 2
    if b.sum() > 0:
        c = b
    else:
        c = 100 * b
    return c
a = torch.randn(size=(2,3), requires_grad=True)
#a = torch.tensor([1.0,2.0], requires_grad=True)
print(a)
d = f(a)
d.backward(d.detach())#This is neccesary, I don't know why, is it because there are b and c in the function?
#d.backward()#wrong
print(a.grad)

out for ex3:
tensor([[-0.6848, 0.2447, 1.5633],
[-0.1291, 0.2607, 0.9181]], requires_grad=True)
tensor([[-179512.9062, 64147.3203, 409814.3750],
[ -33844.5430, 68346.7969, 240686.7344]])

'''
ex.4
Let f (x) = sin(x). Plot the graph of f and of its derivative f ′ . Do not exploit the fact that
f ′ (x) = cos(x) but rather use automatic differentiation to get the result.
'''
#suppose the functions in 2.4.2Visualization Utilities has been constructed in d2l
from d2l import torch as d2l
x = d2l.arange(0,10,0.1, requires_grad = True)
y = d2l.sin(x)
y.backward(gradient=d2l.ones(len(y)))#y.sum().backward() can do the same thing
#.detach.numpy() is needed because x is set to requires_grad = True
d2l.plot(x.detach().numpy(), [y.detach().numpy(),x.grad], 'x', 'f(x)', legend = ['sin(x)','sin\'(x)'])

out for ex4:
图片

This link https://mblondel.org/teaching/autodiff-2020.pdf may help to answer the 8th question.

Answer for 4th question : Google Colab

Can someone please explain the result of 2.5.1 to me. I understand how the first function is just y = 2x^2, but creating the new function that is y = x.sum(), just returns 6. Is this conceptually 6x or is it just 6 or is this just x (i’m assuming the third because that’s the only way we can get 1 as the gradient all the time) or am i missing something?

My understanding about 2.5.1’s pytorch code blocks:

y = x.sum() is just a way of defining a computational graph in PyTorch, which means evaluating each component of x and adding them up. Gradients are computed on each component of x, NOT on the y graph. Evaluating gradient on a component of x means computing for y_i = x_i (which yields 1).

The same principal applies to the y = 2 * x^Tx part, y is NOT 2x^2, it’s a computational graph for evaluating 2 * x^Tx where each component of it is actually y_i = 2 * x_i * x_i. So the graph y is in fact sum { 2 * x_i * x_i }.

HTH

Can someone help with Questions 5 and 6. Is this a pen-paper question, writing down backprop for the computation graph, or is this supposed to be implemented (if yes, then can someone elaborate more on it or provide a solution.)

Also problems 7, 8 are difficult ones, but at least there is a good resource provided by Denis Kazakov.

Hi! In Exercise 5, I don’t understand why my solution and the expected derivative do not correspond:
%matplotlib inline
import numpy as np
from matplotlib_inline import backend_inline
from d2l import torch as d2l
import math

x = torch.linspace(0.1, 10, 100)

x.requires_grad_(True)

def f(x):
return ((torch.log(x ** 2)) * torch.sin(x)) + (x ** -1)
y = f(x)
y.backward(torch.ones_like(y))
p = x.grad

Plot the function and its derivative

plt.plot(x.detach().numpy(), y.detach().numpy(), label=‘f(x)’)
plt.plot(x.detach().numpy(), p.detach().numpy(), label=“f’(x)”)
plt.xlabel(‘x’)
plt.ylabel(‘y’)
plt.legend()
plt.grid(True)
plt.show()
gives me this plot:

and when I compare
desired_derivative = -(2 / x) * torch.sin(x) + torch.log(x**2) * torch.cos(x) - (1/x **2)
p == desired_derivative
it evaluates to False.
Can you help me?

Ex2.

import torch
x = torch.arange(4.0)
x.requires_grad_(True)
y = x @ x
y.backward()

Output (second run):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
/tmp/ipykernel_82/1055444503.py in <module>
----> 1 y.backward()

/opt/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/_tensor.py in backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs)
    394                 create_graph=create_graph,
    395                 inputs=inputs)
--> 396         torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs=inputs)
    398     def register_hook(self, hook):

/opt/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py in backward(tensors, grad_tensors, retain_graph, create_graph, grad_variables, inputs)
    173     Variable._execution_engine.run_backward(  # Calls into the C++ engine to run the backward pass
    174         tensors, grad_tensors_, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs,
--> 175         allow_unreachable=True, accumulate_grad=True)  # Calls into the C++ engine to run the backward pass
    177 def grad(

RuntimeError: Trying to backward through the graph a second time (or directly access saved tensors after they have already been freed). Saved intermediate values of the graph are freed when you call .backward() or autograd.grad(). Specify retain_graph=True if you need to backward through the graph a second time or if you need to access saved tensors after calling backward.
  • The .backward() call will automatically free all the intermediate tensors in a computational graph after the backprop.
  • In that sense, “double backward” can not be realized unless one specifies retain_graph=True.

Ex3.

def f(a):
    b = a * 2
    while b.norm() < 1000:
        b = b * 2
    if b.sum() > 0:
        c = b
    else:
        c = 100 * b
    return c
a = torch.randn(size=(4, ), requires_grad=True)
d = f(a)
d.backward()

Output:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
/tmp/ipykernel_82/535593037.py in <module>
      1 a = torch.randn(size=(4, ), requires_grad=True)
      2 d = f(a)
----> 3 d.backward()

/opt/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/_tensor.py in backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs)
    394                 create_graph=create_graph,
    395                 inputs=inputs)
--> 396         torch.autograd.backward(self, gradient, retain_graph, create_graph, inputs=inputs)
    398     def register_hook(self, hook):

/opt/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py in backward(tensors, grad_tensors, retain_graph, create_graph, grad_variables, inputs)
    165     grad_tensors_ = _tensor_or_tensors_to_tuple(grad_tensors, len(tensors))
--> 166     grad_tensors_ = _make_grads(tensors, grad_tensors_, is_grads_batched=False)
    167     if retain_graph is None:
    168         retain_graph = create_graph

/opt/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/autograd/__init__.py in _make_grads(outputs, grads, is_grads_batched)
     65             if out.requires_grad:
     66                 if out.numel() != 1:
---> 67                     raise RuntimeError("grad can be implicitly created only for scalar outputs")
     68                 new_grads.append(torch.ones_like(out, memory_format=torch.preserve_format))
     69             else:

RuntimeError: grad can be implicitly created only for scalar outputs
  • Since a as well as d is no longer a scalar, we need to reduce d to make backprop feasible.
d.sum().backward()
a.grad == d / a

Output:

tensor([True, True, True, True])

Ex4-5.

• The dependency graph (computational graph):

• Applying the backprop algorithm according to the chain rule…
    • The + operation y = n1 + n2: n1.grad = 1, n2.grad = 1
    • The inverse operation n1 = 1 / x: x.grad1 = (- 1 / x ** 2) * n1.grad = - 1 / x ** 2
    • The * operation n2 = n3 * n4: n3.grad = n4 * n2.grad = log(x ** 2), n4.grad = n3 * n2.grad = sin(x)
    • The sin operation n3 = sin(x): x.grad2 = cos(x) * n3.grad = cos(x) * log(x ** 2)
    • The log operation n4 = log(n5): n5.grad = 1 / n5 * n4.grad = 1 / x ** 2 * sin(x)
    • The square operation n5 = x ** 2: x.grad3 = 2 * x * n5.grad = 2 / x * sin(x)
    • Final result: x.grad = x.grad1 + x.grad2 + x.grad3 = - 1 / x ** 2 + cos(x) * log(x ** 2) + 2 / x * sin(x)
import torch
torch.manual_seed(713)
x = torch.randn(size=(), requires_grad=True)
n1, n3, n5 = 1 / x, torch.sin(x), x ** 2
n4 = torch.log(n5)
n2 = n3 * n4
y = n1 + n2
y.backward()
x.grad, - 1 / x ** 2 + torch.cos(x) * torch.log(x ** 2) + 2 / x * torch.sin(x)

Output:

(tensor(-1.7580), tensor(-1.7580, grad_fn=<AddBackward0>))
1 Like

Q5,6